None

Boris Oguibenine Boris.Oguibenine at EHESS.FR
Wed Sep 22 14:15:18 UTC 1999

Identité Message:<4.0.1.19990922145027.00f1dc30 at atacama.ehess.fr>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 16:15:21 +0200
To: Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
From: Boris Oguibenine <boris at ehess.fr>
Subject: Re: Two Buddhist Terms

At 13:42 21/09/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear Richard,
>
>aniketa, n. of a bodhisattva: gv 442.3
>aniketacArin, m., n. of a samAdhi: mvy 577; zsp 1421.12
>
>anupAdadhI does not occur. Closest hit:
>anupAdA, abbreviated form of ger. anupAdAya, q.v., *not clinging* (to
>existence) [...] in mv i.69.15 read anupAda (m.c. for -dA) vimukti
>
>Yours, Ferenc
>Ferenc Ruzsa
>assistant professor of metaphysics
>E=F6tv=F6s Lor=E1nd University, Budapest
>e-mail: f_ruzsa at isis.elte.hu
>=20

The solution  to mv i.69.15 " read anupAda (m.c. for -dA) vimukti" is
offered by Edgerton who emends the text, but gives no translation.=20
Mv.1.69.15 runs as follows:

na khu bhavadbhir anupAdivimukti

According to Senart, Mahaavastu I, p. 430 who sees anupAdi as adjective
determining nirvRtI (line 16) , it is to be understood as "no, there is no
liberation free from the upAdi possibly =3DupAdAna (so BHSD) i.e. from any
clinging to existence"  (i.e. final liberation with no rest of life to
live); Jones apparently does not accept Edgerton's suggestion to see
anupAdi as mere corruption of anupAdA(ya): "no, my friends, you
cannot...[be] immune from any source of rebirth".

Leumann and Siraisi translate: "Durchaus nicht soll (oder kann) das von
(jeder weltlichen) Grundlage befreite NirvAANa ....erreicht  werden",
anyway closer to Senart' text treated  more respectfully with no immediate
wish to =ABbettering=BB.

As to anupAdadhI (Rgs: I.9) in the first posting, notice that Yuyama's
edition reads an-upAdu-dhIH  against Conze's  anupAdadhI (sic!) "(his)
thought on non production" (Tibetan skye med blo ldan, while  Yuyama's
Tunhuang rec. A has skye med blo-yis)