A few questions.

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Sep 18 23:19:00 UTC 1999

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999, Ketan Kalyansingh wrote:

> Where can I get more info about the city of Dwarka discovered under the sea?

This research is published by an archaeologist called S. R. Rao who
lives in Bangalore and works at the Institute for Underwater Research (or
some such name) in Goa.  He has made a video about his underwater work at
Dwaraka, and has now published a book about the research:

Lost City of Dwarka
S R Rao
Hardcover (May 1999)
Aditya Prakashan; ISBN: 8186471480

The publisher "Aditya Prakashan" is well known for publishing very
right-wing materials, and books which promote the "Aryan homeland in
India" sort of book.  Prof. Rao shares views similar to these.  I have met
him, and he was knowledgeable and to some extent charming, but his views
of social, cultural, and political history were not -- what can I say? --
mainstream.

Rao's underwater archaeology is really very interesting indeed, and he is
a genuine pioneer in what I believe to be a fascinating and worthwhile
area of research.  However, the constructions he puts on his findings may
not be widely accepted by the archaeological establishment.

Disclaimer: I have not read his recent book.  I have met the author, seen
his earlier video, and read some of his articles.

--
Dominik Wujastyk