(Fwd) Banning Foreign Scholars in India.

Bharat Gupt abhinav at DEL3.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Sep 14 00:29:40 UTC 1999

Vidyasankar Sundaresan wrote:

> I thought contemporary politics and government policies were to be avoided
> on this list, but as it has already been raised, here goes.
>
> Following the recent nuclear tests, Indian scientists were denied visas to
> visit Europe and the USA. Many of those already working in foreign lands
> were told to return to India, leaving their equipment and notes behind. And
> it is an open secret where most of the funds of the better funded
> non-governmental organizations (NGOs) come from. Obviously, the Indian
> government is retaliating, in its own clumsy way.

Shri Vidyashankar has stated the political confrontation very well and there
can be doubt that Indian Government is stating a point of prestige rather than
a deep suspicion of all foreign scholars and of Indologists in particular.

HOWEVER, I feel that the Indian academics should impress upon the New Home Minister as
soon as he or she (there are surprises, once in a while) takes the oath to remove this
Ban, as there is no justification for it in terms of threat to security.

Inspite of its constrains, seminars and lectures etc and general academic and
intellectual activity in India is open and before the public gaze.
Indian academics are strong enough to confront any damaging propoganda that is feared to
be indulged in by foreign scholars, a beaucratic filter is not needed.
In fact, I am sure that the present order is at the ill advice of the administration and
is harmful to Indian academics more than any body else.
Bharat Gupt
Assoc Prof, Delhi Univ.