: ADMIN: End of AIT debate (fwd)

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Fri Sep 10 08:59:11 UTC 1999

Further to my note about ending the AIT thread, here is a clarification
concerning some of the publications I alluded to.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Edwin Bryant
Subject: Re: ADMIN: End of AIT debate

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> There are apparently at least two major forthcoming books on the topic
> that serious scholars will want to read and digest before expressing
> themselves further on the subject.

Dear Indologists,

        I have been contacted by some of you about the summary on the I-A
debate that I had promised to post over the summer.  Unfortunately I have
failed to do so partly because I was dreading the eruption of the type of
discussion that has just ensued, and partly because I was working
furiously on getting my book on the topic ready to give to Oxford
University Press by September.  That ms is ready and will be officially in
press within a fortnight.  I enclose the table of contents, below.  I am
also co-editing a volume including prominent points of view from all sides
of this issue with Laurie Patton which will be published by Curzon Press.
Contributors will include A. Parpola, M. Witzel, H. Hock, L. Fosse, J.
Shaffer, M. Deshpande, M. Kenoyer, S. Kak, B.B.Lal, S.S. Misra, S.
Talageri and S.P Gupta. Best, Edwin Bryant

Title: The Indo-Aryan Invasion Debate: Quest of the Origins of Vedic
Culture.

Table of Contents
        Introduction.
        Chapter One.
Myths of Origin: Europe and the Aryan Homeland Quest.
Introduction
Biblical Origins
India the Cradle of Civilization
The Aryans in Colonial and Missionary Discourse
German Aryanism
Two Centuries of Homeland Theories
Present Day Homeland Hypotheses
        a. Gimbutas and the Kurgan homeland
        b. Renfrew and an early West Anatolian Homeland
        c. Gamkrelidze and Ivanov and an East Anatolian Homeland
Conclusion
        Chapter Two.
Early Indian Responses.
Introduction
Hindu Nationalists Responses
Hindu Religious Responses
Conclusion
        Chapter Three.
Vedic Philology
Introduction
The Racial Evidence
The West to East Geographical Shift in Sanskrit Texts
Conclusion
        Chapter Four.
Comparative Philology: The Dethronement of Sanskrit
Introduction
The Law of Palatals
The Discovery of Hittite and the Laryngeals
Objections from India
Conclusion
        Chapter Five.
Linguistic Substrata in Sanskrit Texts.
Introduction
Syntactical Evidence.
Evidence of the Loan Words.
        a. Terms for Flora and Fauna in Indic Languages
        b. Place and River Names
Dravidian and Munda Migrations
Conclusion
        Chapter Six.
Linguistic Palaeontology.
Introduction
Salmon and Beeches
Elephants and Monkeys
The Horse
Conclusion
        Chapter Seven.
Linguistic Evidence from outside of India.
Introduction
Semitic Loans in Indo-European
Finno-Ugric Loans
Other Traces of the Indo-Aryans
The Avestan Evidence.
The Mitanni Treaties.
Conclusion
        Chapter Eight.
The Linguistic Viability of an Indian Homeland Candidacy
Introduction
Center and Periphery Models
Dialectical Subgroupings
Nichols Sogdiana Model
Conclusion
        Chapter Nine.
The Indus Valley Civilization.
Introduction
Indra Stands Accused
The Vedic Fire Altars
The Sarasvat
The Horse.
The Chariot.
The Indus Script.
        a Sanskrit Decipherment Attempts
        b Other Attempts
Urbanity and the gveda
Conclusion
        Chapter Ten
Aryans in the Archaeological Record: Central Asia.
Introduction
Identifying Aryans
The Northern Route
        a Vedic burial and funerary practices
        b  Jamna and Related Cultures
        c Beshkent and Vakhsh Culture
The Southern Route
        a The BMAC Culture
Two Wave Theories
        Chapter Eleven.
Aryans in the Archaeological Record: The Subcontinent
Introduction
The Gandhara Grave Culture
The Jhukar Culture
Cemetery H Culture
Painted Grey Ware Culture
Aryans in the Skeletal Record
Continuity and Innovation
In Defence of Migrations
Conclusion
        Chapter Twelve
The Dating of the Veda.
Introduction
Dating Proto-Indo-European
Dating the Veda
Astronomy and Vedic Chronology
        a, Background
        b. The Mgasra Epoque
        c. The Kttikas Epoque
        d. The Pole Star
        e. The Mathematics of the Sulvasstras
        f. Overview and Discussion of the Astronomical Evidence
Conclusion
        Chapter Thirteen
Aryan Origins and National Discourse.
Introduction
Nationalism and Historiography: General Comments
Hindutvavad
Stereotypes and Counterstereotypes
A Myriad of Motives
Conclusion