So.dhalanigha.n.tu

K S Arjunwadkar arjunwadkar at MCMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 17 17:21:44 UTC 1999

Date sent:              Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:03:06 +0100
Send reply to:          Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
From:                   Bruno Lo Turco <b.loturco at AGORA.STM.IT>
Subject:                So.dhalanigha.n.tu
To:                     INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK

> Dear members of the list,
> I have a question regarding the So.dhalanigha.n.tu:
> what is meant by lak.sma.nAdi and anekArtha, which are the
> names of the 7th and 8th
> vargas of drugs listed in the first section (nAmasaGgraha)
> of the work?
>
> Bruno Lo Turco
> Universita' di Roma 'La Sapienza'

As the work under reference seems to be an Ayurvedic thesaurus,
'anekaartha-varga' should be the section of words with more than
one referent, as in works of similar nature like Amara-kosha.
'Lakshmana' is noted in Charaka, Suutra. IV.94 as a vegetable.
Section 7 appears to be a list headed by (-aadi) that vegetable.
KSA