Units used in the Sulbasutras

Srini Pichumani srini_pichumani at MENTORG.COM
Sun Nov 7 00:24:18 UTC 1999

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen wrote:

> pRthA

Did anyone respond to you on this ???  prtha seems to refer to the
palm,  and is a distance from the tip of the fingers to the knuckles =
13 angulis...  I got this off the Colone Digital Sanskrit Lexicon.

>  akSa
>  yuga
>  jAnu

akSa,  jAnu,  bAhu seem to refer to body parts...  I know that in Indian
lore,  if a person has good form,  and has hands reaching down to his
knees (which is considered a good-thing... at least it is spoken of with
some awe),  he is called AjAnubAhu... so this may obliquely refer to
some measurement criteria.