Racial Origin of Caste (Re: varna and jati)

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon May 24 03:51:41 UTC 1999

Stephens wrote:

> I would suggest an experiment for those that strongly believe in the
> Aryan/Dravidian divide in India:
>
> Take every member from 4 or 5 generations of any one family from either the
> so called "Aryan" or the so called "Dravidian" groups in India and line them up (I do not mean literally, could be through photographs) and try to put them in the Aryan or Dravidian pile based on physiology or genetics. You would be surprised at the number of people that cross the line of demarcation.

I agree with what you are saying. However, I think that there are
regional differences between the areas of Punjab and much of Pakistan
with the rest of India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka. For example, Sikhs,
in general, are much taller and have somewhat different features than
Tamils.  There's a lot of overlap, though, I admit.

None of this supports any 'invasion' theories, but I think that some try
too hard to deny any outside 'racial' influence on the Indian
population.

> From my own standpoint, the basis of the South Asian population is what
has been called Munda Dravidian.  This type is generally short, dark,
mesorrhine and prognathous, just like the populations of Harappan, the
Megalithic or other early Indian cultures. In the south, there well may
have been demographic flow between India and East Africa as suggested by
the ancient and medieval Greeks and Roman writers.

In Assam, and in regions of Bihar, Bengal and NE UP, near the border
with Nepal there is a strong "Mongoloid" admixture. Sometimes this is
visible in other areas such as near the coast in parts of southern
India.

In the Punjab and Pakistan, there is some obvious overlap with Afghan
and Iranian populations. Gene flow of this type if found in every region
in the world and is nothing to be scared of.  However, I will agree that
none of this necessarily supports the ideas of AIT.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala
http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/9845/austric.htm