varna and jati

Rolf Koch roheko at MERKUR.NET
Sat May 22 11:09:45 UTC 1999

Regarding the term jAti I came across the following TRSTubh stanza
in the KuNAlAvadAna from the DivyAvadAna (v.l. = KalpanAmaNDItikA of
KumAralAta, probably the
early source for the DivyAvadAna):
jAtiM bhavAn pazyati zAkya-bhikSuSv-
antar-gatAMs-teSu guNAn-na ceti (v.l. na vetti : na veti) /
ato bhavAn jAtimad-AvalepAd-
AtmAnam-anyAMz-ca hinasti mohAt  //3//
AvAha-kAle'tha vivAha-kAle
jAteH parIkSA na tu dharma-kAle /
dharma-kriyAyA hi guNA nimittA
guNAz(v.l. guNaiz)-ca jAtiM na vicArayanti //4//

...Not in regards to the guNa-related Dharma it is necessary to consider the
jAti,
but in case of any marriage the jAti has to be taken into consideration.

roheko