Dr. Thompson's dating of the Rigveda

Vishal Agarwal vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 18 22:58:48 UTC 1999

Mr. Thompson's dating of the Rigveda at 1000 B.C.E raises a serious quesion.
At present, we have about 200 Vedic texts (from Samhitas to
Kalpasutraparisistas) extant. No Vedic scholar dates any Vedic text later
than 4th Cent. A.D. We also know that the extant Vedic literature is a small
fraction of what once existed and therefore can safely assume that there
were literally more than a 1000 texts that existed once. Even in the extant
Vedic texts, we get the feeling that they are separated from each other by
several centuries (for instance, compare the Gopatha Brahman to the Rigveda
Samhita). If we assume that Dr. Thompson is correct, then we will have to
agree that 'Vedic Aryans' composed and compiled more than 1000 texts in 13
centuries. Can a semi-civilized nomadic community write such complex corpus?
Patanjali's Mahabhasya states that there were 21 schools of Rigveda, 101 of
Yajurveda, 1000 of Samaveda and 9 of Atharvaveda. Even assuming that the
1000 for Samaveda refers to something other than Shakhas, is it reasonable
to assume that several 100 schools of Vedas arose within a mere 7 centuries?
As for Patanjali's numbers for the other 3 vedas, they are actually on the
lower side since we find names of more than 21 Rigvedic schools, more than
101 Yjurvedic schools and more than 9 Atharvana schools in the literature.

Several of these Vedic texts clearly pre-suppose several centuries of
development behind them. For instance, Yaska's Nirukta quotes 13 or so
predecessors. That these quotations are not derived from 'floating oral
traditions' but rather from actual written works is proven by the fact that
many more citations of the Niruktas of Shakapuni, Galava etc. are
encountered in commentaries on Rigveda, Yaskiya Nirukta etc. Now, Yaskiya
Nirukta itself is dated  by many as 6th Cent. B.C.E. So do you see the
absurdity of Dr. Thompson's date.

Consider again the Ashtradhyayi. Herein, Maharshi Panini quotes 2 dozen or
so predecessors. A work (Siksa Sutras)  of one of these (Apisali) has
actually been published. Now Panini himself belonged to the Mahesvara
Sampradaya of Vyakarana. There were the Aindra and other schools of
Vyakaranas and manuscripts of these works existed as late as the 17th Cent.
(see the Kavindracarya Sucipatra for instance). In fact, a fragment of a
pre-Paninean grammarian's (Kashkritsna) sutras on Grammar as also the
Dhatupatha have been discovered and also published. My point is that even
the current extant texts pre-suppose several millenia of systematic
development.

Therefore, Dr. Thompson;s dating, based on a comparison of the other
Indo-Aryan languages, to the neglect of a rigorous study of Sanskrit
literature, is simply absurd.

Sincerely,

Vishal