Info on BodhicAryavatAra

Walker Trimble wytrimbl at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Fri May 7 15:23:45 UTC 1999

At 03:41 PM 5/5/99 PDT, you wrote:
>Does anybody have information on the quality of the translations of ShAnti
>Deva's BodhicAryavatAra?

Two years ago I read the Bodhichaaryavataara in a class with Prof. Richard
Gombrich.  All of us in the class agreed that the translation of Kate
Crosby and Andrew Skilton under OUP, 1996 was quite good.  As I recall,
they kept to the Sanskrit version and only resorted to the Tibetan
translation when necessary.  On my part, I find the style a little too
informal.

Regards,

W. Trimble