Gentoo Studies

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue May 4 11:56:32 UTC 1999

 >    N.S.Rajaram's review of Indus Age: The Writing System by Gregory
 >Possehl's book by Dr Rajaram (made available to this list by Vishal
 >Agarwal) calls for "a new school of thought" in the field of
 >Indology. This appeal reminds me of the suggestion formally made by
 >Arvind Sharma of McGill University, Montreal at the conference on
 >Dharma and History held in Shimla in July 1997 that western
 >scholarship on Indology be known as "Gentoo Studies" in order to
 >distinguish it from contributions made by Indians themselves
 >using Indic paradigms of knowledge and scholarship.

Hope the world does not have to go by the mirror images from India of
TV evangelists' version of biblical archaeology, linguistics,
history.

As I recall, Arvind Sharma usually uses Western style in analysis.
I remember the foreword in his book, Buddhism (I have to get it
from the basement) that he was intrigued by the idea of
deconstruction. This was explained to him on a flight from
Australia to Canada when he was offered a teaching job in N. America.
Then he learnt deconstruction more and wrote the book, Buddhism
an old 'deconstruction' method.

May be Arvind won't buy the opinions of Talageri, Rajaram, Frawley.
Has he written along with them??

Yours,
V. Iyer