Women in Afghanistan

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at MAILER.FSU.EDU
Thu Mar 18 16:23:48 UTC 1999

Arthur Karp takes exception to the passage:

>>The situation is getting so bad that one person in an editorial of the
>Times compared the treatment of women there to the treatment of Jews in
>pre-Holocaust Poland.>

I suppose the word "pogrom" is not in your vocabulary?

Should Poland be singled out for its inhospitability toward Jews (both
before and after the Holocaust; many Jews who no longer identified
themselves as Jewish were made to leave Poland in the 1960s)? I agree
Poland should not be made to bear the full brunt of European antisemitism,
but it can hardly deny being a major player (where, after all, were the
Death Camps?). The factoid at the end of Schindler's List highlights this:
The descendents of the 1200 some-odd Jews saved by Schindler are now over
four times as many as all the Jews remaining in Poland.

So protest being singled out, but don't deny the charges.

Dan Lusthaus
Florida State University