Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa and MaNimEkalai

Fri Mar 5 19:02:38 UTC 1999

On 3/3/99, Petr Mares wrote:

>I previously believed that Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa is a South Indian
>text.

>K. P.  Jayaswal in his rendition of the historical part (part III of
>Trivandrum edition - pp. 579-656) of the Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa
> .... , claims ...
>that Ma~Nju/SrImUlakalpa was written in
>Bengal.

...  it discusses the pAla period of 750A.D.
Equally, the Licchavi dynasty of Nepal, also up to c. 750 (when they peter
out, no more inscriptions)

It would be unusual for a Southern text to be so well informed about the
Himalayas.

>the  AMMK also mentions the South Seas, it says:
>verses 636-640
>"Everywhere the dvIpas too, in the Kali.Ngadreshu
>the kAma-rUpa-kalA in the valleys of HimAdri.

kaamaruupa = W. Assam

Many kings are
>stated to have been between meetings of the seas (udra-sandhishu).
>Many gaNa chiefs of the Mlechchhas, worshippers of the Buddha: -
>Indra and Suchandra - Mahendra inhibitants amongst the Mlechchhas
>will be kings."

Mahendra is a mountain chain in Orissa (E. Ghats)

>Kali.Ngadreshu, cf. udrasandhishu probably means Java as Kali.Nga

kalinga and uDra = Orissa

Many Indian names of countries have been transferred to SE  Asia: Kamboja,
Kalinga, Trilinga, Zyaama, Campaa etc.

MW.

Michael Witzel
Wales Professor of Sanskrit

Dept. of Sanskrit & Indian Studies,
Harvard University                              www.shore.net/~india/ejvs
2 Divinity Avenue                               (Electr. Journ. of Vedic Stud.)
Cambridge MA 02138, USA

phone: 1- 617 - 495 3295 (voice & messages), 496 8570, fax 617 - 496 8571
my direct line (also for messages) :  617- 496 2990
home page:     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm
witzel at fas.harvard.edu