Saptarsi, etc,

David Magier magier at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Jun 23 09:48:20 UTC 1999

Dear Barry,
I am forwarding your query to the INDOLOGY listserv where there is a
decent likelihood of a listmember having some suggestions on your
topic. Indology is at: indology at liverpool.ac.uk
(Colleagues: please respond directly to Mr. Pittard, who is not, I
believe, a member of the listserv. Thanks.)
David Magier

--------------
From: "Barry Pittard" <bpittard at beachaccess.com.au>
To: <magier at columbia.edu>
Subject: Saptarsi, etc
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:33:40 +1000

In an area where I find paucity, I'm looking for any quality studies
that get as close as possible to who and what certain ancient Indian
sages actually were or well might have been.

For my study on nadisastra of different traditions, in different parts
of India, I require as much information as I can get on the Sapta Rishis
- the seven Rishis of Vedic times, sometimes called Saptarsi - Gautama,
Bharadwaja, Vishwamitra, Jamadagni, Vasishta, Kasyapa, Atri; who also,
in Astronomy, correspond to the constellation Ursa Major, commonly known
as the Big Dipper.

Other sages about whom I am always striving to get more decent FACTUAL
information about are:

Bhrighu, Shuka, Shukra, Druva, Amsa, Agasthya, Kousika, Koumara,
Kakbhusandi, Bhoga, Pullipani, Vashista, Vishwamitra, Parasara, Sahadeva

Can you or other colleagues suggest?

Barry Pittard