Pythagorean theorem

Shrinivas Tilak shrinivast at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 17 23:32:42 UTC 1999

    While going through my notes this afternoon I found a clipping of a
report that appeared in The Tribune (Ambala) of June 26, 1993. Professors
Sema'an-I-Salem and Alok Kumar of California State University, Long Beach,
according to this report, have translated a text called Kitab Tabaqut
al-Umam (Book of Categories of Nations) written by Sa'id-al-Andalusi in
1068.
    Among eight contributions to science made by ancient Indian scholars,
the book mentions that one Bhadrabahu solved in Kalpasutra, in 290 BCE, "the
so-called Pythagorean theorem."
    The title of the translation is "Science in Medieval World."