Jamshid

Toke Lindegaard Knudsen tlk at MATH.KU.DK
Sun Jun 13 19:01:50 UTC 1999

> Thanks  for  your  input.  "Asura  MAyA"  is  indeed  an  interesting
> rendering  for  "Ahura  Mazda".  But  I  thought  "Zarathusthra"  meant
> "camel-tormenter".  "uShTra"  meaning  "camel"  in  Sanskrit  also.  Any
> clarification  is  appreciated.

Yes, I also recall that Zarathustra means something connected
with camels.  I must admit though that I do not know much about
the name Zarathustra.  The source I refered to earlier equated
Zarathustra with Jarutha mentioned in the Rig Veda and with
Jarasabdha mentioned in the Bhavisya Purana.  I do not know what
Jarutha or Jarasabdha means (jara means old age, atleast in the
Bhagavad Gita), or what relation that might have to the meaning of
Zarathustra in Persian.  Maybe someone could help us here?

Sincerely,
Toke Lindegaard Knudsen