Rta, satya, dharma

K S Arjunwadkar arjunwadkar at MCMAIL.COM
Thu Jul 1 05:37:40 UTC 1999

From:                   Self <m02bke02>
To:                     Indology <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Subject:                Rta, satya, dharma
Date sent:              Wed, 30 Jun 1999 19:28:25 +0100

> June 30, 99

> (1)  zrutir vibhinnA smRtayash ca bhinnA
> >        naiko munir yasya vacaH pramANam /
> >        dharmasya tattvaM nihitaM guhAyAM
> >        mahAjano yena gataH sa panthAH // (Mahabharata)
 I am quoting from memory, as I do not have reference books at
 hand. I am going home in August; I will then search
 for its source.

 Translation:
 The (view of) the (divine) Veda is different/divergent;
 different/divergent again are (the views of) the (man-made)
 law codes. There is no single sage/seer whose word/verdict
 is authoritative/acceptable (to all). The essence/principle of
 sacred duty is (thus) concealed in a cave (darkness)/
 is inaccessible. The (right) way (of conduct) (which is left
 for us) is that which is followed by the great men.

 Best wishes.
 KSA