maNipravALa transliteration [was SV: creation of human kind]

Mani Varadarajan mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU
Fri Jan 22 18:45:15 UTC 1999

A question on transliteration standards:

Dr. Ganesan writes:
> PS: A humble request to Thiru. Chandra, Let us all use
> Madras univ. transliteration scheme for Tamil. Widely used
> in scholarly publications from 1930s. Also in
> Institute of Indology and Tamil studies web page
> for an extensive collection of all Tamil literature,
> Tamil lexican and Tamil books catalogue.
>
>   Tamil transliteration without diacritical marks:
>   ************************************************
>  Vowels:       a aa/A i ii/I u uu/U e ee/E ai o oo/O au
>  Consonants:   k g c jn T N t n p m y r l v z L R n2
>  Aytam:        q/H

This poses a problem when transliterating maNipravALa
texts, such as the commentaries of the Sri Vaishnava
acharyas, which contain Tamil and Sanskrit in varying
equal quantities, depending on the author.

Some problem areas are vocalic r, vocalic l, and the
sibilants.

Is there a suggested transliteration scheme?

Mani