Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

Christopher Fernandez chris_fernand90 at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 5 18:51:29 UTC 1999

narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN writes:

> Though the members of the list are sure to take note of the wish
>  that the word dAkSiNAtya should mean Tamilians and Malayalis only,
>  the refernces cited are not sufficient to warrant such a
>  conclusion. For that we need a reference like " ONLY people who
>  use cOru for cooked rice are dAkSiNAtyAs."

In the original posting by Dr. S. Palaniappan,
 Prof. Ashok Aklujkar has written the following:
"The third helpful consideration in ascertaining the common meaning of
 dAkSiNAtya in the Classical period is the remark by several authors
 to the effect that the word cora/caura in the language of the
 dAkSiNAtyas means odana 'cooked rice' not thief;"

Note the words "in the language of the dakSiNAtyas".  Now for a
logical thinker, "in the  language of the dakSiNAtyas" differs from
"in a language of the dAkSiNAtyas". The latter would mean that
dAkSiNAtyas referred to speakers of many  languages,
i.e., cora meant cooked rice in one of many languages spoken by the
dAkSiNAtyas. But "in the language of the dAkSiNAtyas",
with the use of the definite article, means that the Classical
 authors  were using the term dAkSiNAtyas to refer to the
speakers of one particular language.

>I am sure the search for such a reference will continue.

The list can do without such snide remarks.

With best regards,
Chris