Concept of Mukti and Shankaracharya

MC1 at AOL.COM MC1 at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 4 06:58:57 UTC 1999

George, I haven't been following the full dialogue here but in case it sheds
some light  on the issue, I offer an alternative taken from Swami
Vireswarananda's abbreviated translation of Sankara's commentary on the Brahma
SUtras - this is most likely the Swami's own interpretation:

This sutra can also be interpreted as refuting the Nihilist's: The translation
would then be: And (as Nihilism) is illogical etc.

Nihilism iof the Bauddhas goes counter to everything. It goes against the
sruti, the smrti, perception, inference, and every other means of right
knowledge and so has to be entirely diregarded by those who are mindful of
their welfare.

<<>In his BRAHMASUTRA-BHASHYA, Adhyaya II, Pada 2, Section 32, Shamkara writes