SV: SV: Hindu traditional view

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Fri Jan 1 22:43:44 UTC 1999

Paul Kekai Manansala wrote:

> I disagree.  While some of the other evidence you cite might help
> explain the theory of Indo-European linguistic and cultural influence,
> it hardly has any bearing on the Aryan Invasion Theory (AIT).
>
> There is nothing in external historical sources that suggests an
> invasion of India, and really nothing in the archaeological or
> anthropological record either.  I believe the archaeological record now
> strongly shows that IVC was *not* overthrown by invaders from the North
> or West.  Also, there is no biological evidence to show a sudden
> intrusion anywhere near the time of the downfall of IVC.

There is, as far as I know, no account anywhere in the Indo-European area of
Indo-Europeans establishing themselves in new abodes. If the I-E's came from
South Russia, there is no tradition in the German area saying that they did so.
Nor is there any tradition anywhere saying  that they came from India (the
out-of-India version). The original homeland of the Indo-Europeans is a matter
of deduction, and has primarily been deduced on the basis of linguistic data.
The linguistic and cultural data point quite clearly to somewhere between the
Rhine and the Urals (east-west axis), the Baltic and the Kaspian (north-south
axis). Exactly where is a much more complex question. It follows logically that
the Indo-Europeans (or their language) must have "invaded" (or migrated to)
South Asia. As for archaeology and biology, I don't think the last word has
been said.

There is a vast research literature on  this not only in English, but also in
German and French, where the various arguments have been discussed ad nauseam.
I suggest that you familiarize yourself with  this before you make any strong
statements. The German research literature is particularly enlightening.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,