Chih Sheng (688-740 AD)

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Thu Feb 25 08:46:12 UTC 1999

At 01:22 AM 2/25/99 EST, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/24/99 7:08:28 PM Central Standard Time,
>narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN writes:
>
>> White and bright are absolutely different. White is a color. Brightness
>> refers
>>  to light energy emitted. You can have bright red, bright green etc and
>>  there can be dull whites.
>
>That is fine. As anybody knows, there can be variations in the semantic
ranges
>of words with similar meanings. Notwithstanding the difference between color
>and brightness referred to above, the root "veL" I had cited included the
>meanings "white, pure, shining, bright". Because there was an overlap with
>"pANDu" in the sense of white, I gave that also for completeness so that Petr
>Mares can have all the relevant information associated with the Malaya
country
>so that he can choose whatever word, if any, fits his Chinese word well.
>
>Regards
>S. Palaniappan

I am soorry to say Mr. Palaniappa that we were not discussing the
meaning of "vel" but of "gaungming". The multiple meanings of "vel"
do not in any way contribute to determining the meaning of word "gaungming".
Now we have "Gaungming mountain" is a direct translation of Sriparvata and
I think we can now progress.

regards,
sarma.