Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

Petr Mares erpet at COMP.CZ
Sat Feb 20 18:32:17 UTC 1999

>Please tell whether there is a manuscript or received tradition
>on P'u t'o island, especially from 6th to 9th centuries AD in China?

Dear Mr. Ganesan

I hope the below biblio may give you some more clues on the
PuTuoShan and Guan Yin (Avalokiteshavara) origin topic

Tsukamoto, Zenryu; Hurvitz, Leon. A history of early Chinese
Buddhism: from its introduction to the death of Hui-yuan.
Translated by Leon Hurvitz. Tokyo, New York: Kodansha
International, 1985. 1305p.

Zurcher, Erik. The Buddhist conquest of China: the spread and
adaptation of Buddhism in early medieval China. 2 volumes. 2nd
edition, revised. Leiden: E.J. Brill, 1972/1959.

Zurcher, Erik. "Eschatology and messianism in early Chinese
Buddhism." In Idema, W.L., ed. Leyden studies in Sinology:
papers presented at the conference held in celebration of the fiftieth
anniversary of the Sinological Institute of Leyden University,
December 8-12, 1980. Leyden: E.J. Brill, 1981. pp.34-56.

Best, Jonathan W. "Tales of three Paekche monks who traveled
afar in search of the law." Harvard Journal of Asiatic Studies 51:1
(June 1991): 139-197.

Tanaka, Kenneth K. The Dawn of Chinese Pure Land Buddhist
Doctrine: Ching-ying Hui-yuan's Commentary on the Visualization
Sutra. Albany: State University of New York Press, 1990. 304p.

Fujieda, Akira. "The Tun-huang manuscripts." In: Essays on the
Sources for Chinese History (edited by Donald D. Leslie, Colin
Mackerras and Wang Gungwu, Canberra: Australian National
University Press, 1973), pp. 120-8.

Giles, Lionel. Descriptive catalogue of the Chinese manuscripts
from Tunhuang in the British Museum. London: British Museum,
1957.

Giles, Lionel. Six centuries of Tunhuang: a short account of the
Stein collection of Chinese mss. in the British Museum. London:
China Society, 1944.

Grinstead, E.D. Title index to the descriptive catalogue of Chinese
manuscripts from Tun-huang in the British Museum. London:
Trustees of the British Museum, 1963.
Petr Mares
Lengqie Research
Hlavacova 1163