Axial Age

Georg von Simson g.v.simson at EAST.UIO.NO
Fri Apr 23 08:43:45 UTC 1999

>Some papers on the concept of Axial Age (in relation to India and the world in
>general) have been published several years ago in the first (?) issue of
>the materials of a symposium or conference on the Date of The Buddha.
>Unfortunately, I am not able to give the exact reference now.
>All the best,
>                                        Yaroslav Vassilkov

The exact reference is:
Heinz Bechert (ed.), The Dating of the Historical Buddha, Part 1
(Abhandlungen der Ak. d. Wissenschaften in Goettingen, Phil.-hist. Kl., 3.
Folge, Nr. 189), Goettingen, 1991. Chapter VIII ("The Axial Age Theory and
the Dates of the Buddha") contains two articles:
S.N.Eisenstadt: "The Dispute about the Birthdate of the Buddha from a
Comparative Civilizational Perspective", pp. 503-505.
Reinhard Wenskus: "Mittel- und Nordeuropa um die Zeit des Buddha: Der
religioese Umbruch im barbarischen Europa in der fruehen Eisenzeit", pp.
506-522.
Best regards,
G.v.Simson