Devi-mahatmya

Tim Cahill tcahill at CCAT.SAS.UPENN.EDU
Fri Sep 25 20:40:25 UTC 1998

of the DM, Tom Coburn writes:

There is no critical edition of the DM.  I've waded through countless mss
and popular editions, focusing more on the text than on the angas.  But
I've also written about the constitution of the text, the angas, and the
commentaries in my Devi: The Crystallization of the Goddess Tradition and
Encountering the Goddess.  There remains lots of good work to do here,
esp. on the commentaries.

------------

In addition, I'd like to note two sources with particular relevance,
culled from Coburn's notes to ch. 5 of Encountering the Goddess:

"The Markandeya Purana: Editions and Translations", Purana 3, #1 (Jan.
1961),pp. 38-45  and

"An Interesting Variant in the Devi-Mahatmya", Purana 25 #2 (July 1983),
pp. 236 -244??

Finally, note that in giving names and titles I dispense with diacritical
conventions, hoping that we all can supply these in cases such as
Ramayana, Markandeya Purana and the like. I urge others to consider
following suit, since reading things like kRSNa tires my eyes. (Of course,
for textual passages we have no choice...)

best, Tim