Ramayana comparisons

John Brockington SKTJLBS at SRV0.ARTS.ED.AC.UK
Mon Oct 12 11:28:24 UTC 1998

A rather late but, I hope, still useful response to John Grimes' query.   In addition
to the items mentioned by Yarozlav Vassilkov, Christophe Vielle and others, there are
the following items that spring to mind immediately.   Others could be found by
consulting the _Epic and Puranic Bibliography (up to 1985)_ (Purana Research
Publications 3) Harrassowitz, Wiesbaden, 1992, or my _The Sanskrit Epics_, E. J. Brill,
Leiden, 1998.

N. J. Allen, "Arjuna and Odysseus: a comparative approach", _South Asia Library
Newsgroup Newsletter_ 40, 1993, pp. 39-42.

N. J. Allen, "The Hero's Five Relationships: A Proto-Indo-European Story", _Myth and
Mythmaking_ (SOAS Collected Papers on South Asia, 12), Curzon, London, pp. 1-20.

N. J. Allen, "Why did Odysseus become a horse?", _Journal of the Anthropological
Society of Oxford_ 26.2, 1995, pp. 143-154.

N. J. Allen, "Homer's Simile, Vyasa's Story", _Journal of Mediterannean Studies_ 6,
1996, pp. 206-18.

Julian Baldick, _Homer and the Indo-Europeans: Comparing Mythologies_, I. B. Tauris,
London, 1994.

Isaiah Sundaram Peter, _Beowulf and the Ramayana: a study in epic poetry_, John Bale
and Danielson, London, 1934.

Jaan Puhvel, "Transposition of myth to saga in Indo-European epic narrative",
_Antiguitates Indogermanicae, Gedenkschrift fur Herman Guntert, hrsg. von Manfred
Mayrhofer u. a., Inst. fur Sprachwissenschaft, Innsbruck, 1974, pp. 175-184

These are of varying quality.

John Brockington

Professor J. L. Brockington
Sanskrit, School of Asian Studies