Aids to the study of Shankaracharya

Ashok Aklujkar fo8z003 at PUBLIC.UNI-HAMBURG.DE
Sun Nov 29 09:02:21 UTC 1998

A dictionary of the kind Prof. Arjunwadkar suggested is not available, as far
as I know. To compile such a dictionary one would first need complete word
indices to the works of ;Sa:nkaraacaarya. My information in that area extends
only to the following:

Mahadevan, T.M.P. Index to the Brahma-Sutra-Bhasya of Sankara. 2 parts.
Madras: University of Madras. (This includes important words but leaves out
verbs, particles etc. making stylistic and authorship studies difficult.)

D'sa, F. 1985. Word-Index to Sankara's Gita-bhasya. Pune: Institute for the
Study of Religion. Series: Linguistic Aids for the Study of Indian Religious
Texts.

As I recall, some work similar to these in that a few individual bhaa.syas
were indexed has also been carried out at the Shri Dwarkadhish Sanskrit
Academy andIndological Research Institute, located behind the Arts and
Commerce college
near the S.T. Bus Station, Dwarka 361 335, Jamnagar Dt., Gujarat. As I do not
have my notes with me, I cannot be sure in this regard.

The last I inquired the A.J. Alston volumes (Íaµkara Source-book. London:
Shanti Sadan, 29 Chepstrow Villas.  Six vols:  Íaµkara on the Absolute,
Íaµkara on the Creation,  Íaµkara on the Soul, Íaµkara on Rival views, Íaµkara on
Discipleship, and Íaµkara on Enlightenment. The first vol also contains a
historical introduction), were out of print. I hope they have been reprinted since.

Of much more limited use for the particular inquiry would be: van Buitenen,
J.A.B.;  Deutsch, Elliot.19xx. A source book of Advaita Vedånta.

ashok aklujkar