Jain inscription

Rolf Heiner Koch roheko at MSN.COM
Tue May 19 14:23:08 UTC 1998

If you could use any of the known system for
transcription like the Kyoto-Harvard-convention,
not sending Apple-documents and no
BINHEX-documents, just writing a simple
text-formatted document we could help you
probably. Italian language is not known to all.
Mfg RHK
roheko at msn.com
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: riccardo garbini <riccardo.garbini at IOL.IT>
An: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK
<INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Datum: Dienstag, 19. Mai 1998 02:08
Betreff: Re: Jain inscription

Dear John Smith, I have been really happy to
receive your response.
Regarding the inscription, I need comparative
material - mainly
epigraphical one - to give an adequate historical
and linguistical
collocation to this small inscription. In the
meanwhile, let me offer you
the small results of such a study in progress.
Paleographically, the
inscription's characters fit very well with the
specimens from Sirohi
district belonging to XIII-XIV century. The
engraving is rather rough, so
that it shows the secondary importance of the
commitment.
The tentave reading so far detected by me is as
follows:
1.      siddham || saµvat 1349 phagu†a ßudi 5
ravidivyo | u esa (?)
yåcchaka kva(?) dhåcå ya(?) sanåto ßr^
Siddhasanasuri ßr^(?) Vikrama(?)
2.      bhadråsaha draja(?) sakhagaaputtra suta
somåjå s^tala e(?)s^µha
usas dra  bhaya s^havasanåthå (raralu?)
3.       padamadgarapåla | dehåsuta naradeva (ka?)
dh^jå | pratå (?)
kya(ka?)lpyåµ je gamala {maÚgala} ||

The date has been tested as corresponding to AD
1292, February 24th,
sunday. The language should be a kind of early
Gujarati, but on order to
get a better idea I need to see several
inscriptions of this type, but in
Italy libraries are not so well endowed with...
Moreover, I add the scanty bibliography available
to me at moment:

Deo, S.B. (1956) The History of Jaina Monachism
from Inscriptions and
Literature, Bulletin of the Deccan College
Research Institute, XVI (June
1954-March 1955). Poona.
Halder, R.R. (1928) Inscription of the Time of
Hammir of Ranthambhor Dated
(V.S.) 1345, Epigraphia Indica, XIX (1927-28), pp.
45-52. Calcutta.
Jain, K.C. (1972) Ancient Cities and Towns of
Rajasthan. Delhi.
Somani, R.V. (1982) Jaina Inscription of
Rajasthan. Jaipur.
Suri, C.L. (1968) Dhanta Image Inscription of
Paramara Somasimha, Vikrama
1277,  Epigraphia Indica, XXXVII (1967-68), pp.
209-11.
Tiwari, M.N.P. (1983) Elements of Jaina
Iconography. Varanasi.
Trivedi,  H.V. (1991) Inscriptions of the
Paramaras, Chandellas,
Kachchhapaghatas and Two Minor Dynasties (Corpus
Inscriptionum Indicarum,
vol. VII), 2 voll. New Delhi.

As attachment you will find a short note (in
Italian language) on the small
item, written in McIntosh - Microsoft Word 5.1.
Any kind of suggestion and emprovement of the
study - through
bibliographical material for instance - well be
greatly wellcome!
Many thanks. Riccardo Garbini.