Etymology of naa.dii

Thu May 14 20:22:15 UTC 1998

Martin Gansten <mgansten at SBBS.SE> wrote:

>I recently saw a Nadi (naa.dii) astrologer of Tamil Nadu quoted as
saying,
>"The very word 'Nadi' in Tamil means (destined) to come on own accord."
As a
>Tamil-illiterate Sanskritist, I would be greatful for any comments from
>Tamil scholars on this list as to whether there is any substance to
this
>etymology.

This is probably similar in spirit to the correlations that Indians are
so fond of. It goes back to upanishad days, e.g. idamdra, svam apiti
etc, and you will find such things not only in Sanskrit but almost every
other spoken language. I doubt if you will find much of a modern sense
of etymology in it.

Vidyasankar