FW: Flowers and plant reproduction

anil k gupta sristi at AD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu May 7 03:53:51 UTC 1998

have you seen vriksha ayurveda

This is an interesting querry and of great interest to me wince we have
looked at similar issues in our Honey bee journal
 http://csf.colorado.edu/sristi/ occasionally in the context of ancient
agriculture

Majumdar gave a lecture in 1925 at presidency college entitled Vanaspati and
thsi will definitely answer your question

if you need more help

pl send me mail at anilg at iimahd.ernet.in

all the best

anil

do send you paper when completed

-----Original Message-----
From: Angus Murphy <murphy at BIOLOGY.UCSC.EDU>
To: INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK <INDOLOGY at LISTSERV.LIV.AC.UK>
Date: Friday, May 01, 1998 8:09 AM
Subject: FW: Flowers and plant reproduction

>Dear Indologists,
>        I am currently researching some aspects of the history of the study
of flowering plants for some popular science writing. One of the most
crucial issues in such a history is that of sexual reproduction by plants.
Although the Greeks appear to have understood that some plants like the date
palm were unable to fertilize themselves and recognized two different flower
types, pollen was regarded as a form of excrement rather than an agent of
fertilization.
>        So far, in my amateur inquiries into early Indian writings, I find
references to male and female flowers based on their shape or form and
descriptions of pollen as dust, but no specific mention of hybridization or
pollination. Yet there are some poetic texts that seem to include pollen
gathering by bees in metaphors for amorous pastimes. Are ther any sources
 In English or another Western language) that I can be directed to?
>        Any information offered would be appreciated and , if used, would
be properly attributed.
>                Thanking you in advance for any assistance.
>                                                                Sincerely,
>                                                                Angus
Murphy
>                                                                Biology