1. Horse and 2. Dice in India

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Mon Mar 23 15:42:14 UTC 1998

>It should be noted that there are >three< different theories around,
>not just two. Thompson and many philologists seem to assume that
>either Vedic culture developed mostly outside South Asia and was
>introduced as a finished product, or India must have been the
>urheimat of PIE speakers.
>
>From the perspective of archaeology, it is very possible that IE speakers
>got to the Northwest part of the subcontinent well before 2000 BCE,
>and the Indo-Iranian culture, with its emphasis on the horse
>developed in situ, after the domesticated horse reached them via
>trade. In fact, one archaeologist, in South Asian Archaeology '95,
>noted that various features considered to be hallmarks of Vedic
>culture arise and spread in this area, rather than marching lockstep
>from Central Asia, in a Northwest to Southeast direction.

The horse cult is also known from Celtic religion. Consequently, if the
horse cult developed in situ about the year 2000 BCE in the Northwest part
of the subcontinent, we must assume that the Celts migrated from that area
to WEstern Europe. That is of course what some Indic writers, such as
Talageri, suggest. But it is not a very probable idea.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,