Turtles in Vedic Sacrifice and the Dravidian concept of

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan Palaniappa at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 25 20:00:16 UTC 1998

In a message dated 98-07-24 20:19:06 EDT, hfarnold at LANMINDS.COM writes:

<< >It is interesting that in a quintessential Tamil love poem we find a poet
from
 >a hunter background using elements of a very specific Vedic ritual!

         Isn't it more likely that we are dealing with a poet from a Vedic
 ritual background who is assuming the persona of a hunter? >>

I am sorry that in my desire to keep the posting short, I left out some
important details. Following the conventions of CT love poems, this poem also
does not contain  the author's name. That information is obtained from outside
the poem.

The name of the poet is eyin2antai makan2 iLaGkIran2Ar "the respected young
kIran2 who is the son of eyin2antai". eyin2antai is a compound of eyin2
(hunter) and tantai (father). According to  U. V. Saminatha Aiyar, the poet
hailed from the hunter community. There are other CT poets from the hunter
community such as:

iLaveyin2an2Ar
eyin2antaiyAr
kaTuvan2 iLaveyin2an2Ar