many pancakes

Robert J. Zydenbos zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Jul 13 15:32:02 UTC 1998

"Dominique.Thillaud" <thillaud at UNICE.FR> wrote:

>         I'm unable to find what could be the Sanskrit word(s) for
> 'pancake', id est a thin disk-shaped bread/cake made by a movement
> of rotation on a pan or in the hands.

What comes closest to a pancake in my experience is a doose
(Kannada) / doocai (Tamil). Roo.ti etc. is two dry, while a doose
has something fluffy about it, like a pancake (i.e. the thicker
variety of pancake; a French crepe or Dutch flensje is of course
something different).

But there are varieties of doose that resemble a crepe or flensje
too: for instance, what in Mysore is called a "paper doose". So
perhaps 'doose' is not such a bad choice after all.

RZ