double accusative (was Re: passive of causatives)

jonathan silk jonathan.silk at YALE.EDU
Fri Jul 10 13:58:51 UTC 1998

I really very much hesitate to enter this discussion, which I but poorly
understand, but my friend Georg said something which prompted a thought:

> But is it not
>more sound to take case endings seriously

Is not the really crucial issue the one alluded to by Boris, namely
"semantic roles"? In other words, at least from the Indian viewpoint should
not the discussion be framed in terms of kaaraka theory, rather than case
endings?  (But probably I have thoroughtly misunderstood the argument, in
which case please ignore my babbles.)

Jonathan SILK

jonathan.silk at yale.edu