women's intelligence

Edwin Bryant ebryant at FAS.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Jan 26 03:01:24 UTC 1998

Can anyone point me to any references in any genre of Sanskrit texts where
it is explicitly stated that women, as an essentialized gender group (ie
not references to individuals) are in any way less intelligent than men?

I know there are various tirades about women's fickleness and propensity
for enjoyment in the Mahabharata, Manu and sannyasa sutras, etc, but I am
particularly looking for statements referring to the intelligence, or
rational faculty, of women as a group.  The Sanskrit references (and
context) of any such statements would be helpful.

Thank you,  Edwin Bryant