Linguists

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Sun Jan 18 15:03:02 UTC 1998

J. Baltuch wrote:

>>I think you speak for a lot of people in the sciences...
>
>No he doesn't. I am supposedly "in the sciences" and he
>certainly doesn't speak for me. And who has ever counted
>them that they formed a majority?

I am not so sure. Subramania is not the only person with a scientific
background to criticize the humanities. We should also remember the
explosive debate in the fifties set off by P. C. Snow when he wrote about
the "two cultures". The "two cultures", in my opinion, still exist, with a
tragic lack of mutual communication. I would also like to point out that
people in the humanities have lost a considerable amount of influence during
the last 100 years, whereas the influence exerted by people in the sciences
and technology has increased, partly dramatically.

But I am glad, Jacob, that you are not one of our detractors! And by the
way: I did not say that "they" formed a majority!

Best regards,

Lars Martin

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,