Linguistics and Out-of-India model

Jacob Baltuch jacob.baltuch at EURONET.BE
Sat Feb 21 01:03:47 UTC 1998

One last question. Edwin Bryant wrote:

>The Aryan invasion/migration theory is very widely rejected in India
>(and I suspect from the tenor of one or two recent comments that some
>members of this list have no idea how widespread this rejection is in
>mainstream academic, and not just in right-wing or neo-Hindu, circles).

Does this include most Indian linguists???

I just can't imagine how one could learn
proper modern linguistics if one's linguistic
training included "theories" that Sanskrit
was identical to PIE or that IA and Dravidian
were close genetic relatives. That would
be really something on a par with the Marr
madness in Soviet linguistics. I do hope the
answer is no.