A question on Tamil dialects

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Tue Feb 3 16:36:31 UTC 1998

>At 01:06 PM 2/2/98 EST, I wrote:
>
>The word "tiTTin2An2" appears to be borrowed from telugu. Perhaps the
>legasy of nAyaka rule over tanjAvur. In telugu the form is "tiTTinAnu"
>or "tiTTAnu"

I want to post this correction. "tiTTinanu" is first person singular form
in telugu. It is "tiTTinAdu" of telugu that corresponds to tiTTin2An2 which
is third person singular. Further my friend Prof Bh. Krishnamurti says that
that the word in tamil need not be considered as a borrowing from telugu
because it has its origins in PD and is there in many dravidian languages.

regards,

sarma.