The Aryans (again); 19th century discourse.

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Thu Dec 17 18:40:55 UTC 1998

Paul Manansala wrote :

        In Talageri's letter, he claimed that the Hindutva side did not hold the
position that Indo-European languages originated in India. Does anyone
know where they do believe IE came from?

If you mean the IE languages, there is a belief that language itself grew
because of peoples' interactions and not because there was some commonality
of stock. As for IE people, the RgVedic people (wrongly referred to as
being Aryans) were the original inhabitants of the land around Sarasvati
river. Where di they come from, no one knows. But there was certainly no
move from Europe or Caspian Sea into the land of the seven rivers.

Just like N.Ganesan, I am adamantly holding on to the view that Aryan means
noble and that it does not refer to race. The Vedic people are our
ancestors and I will never believe that Indians came from anywhere but the
Sarasvati region. Call me Hindutvavadi or whatever.

Ashish