The horse argument, part 1

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at UNICE.FR
Wed Apr 1 06:43:33 UTC 1998

Vidhyanath Rao wrote:
>Dominique Thillaud had written a post saying that evidence of horse is
>not found in Mycenean Greece. If I remember right, cheek pieces of the
>type used in the Near East and Central Asia have been found in the
>shaft graves of Mycenean times. I don't know the precise figures, but
>from what I have read, these cheek pieces were not rare.

        You say here more than I do. Horse's bones and chariots were found
in Mycenian digs. But their number was fewer than expected by a simple
reading of epics. The remains show a great importance of the horse as a
prestige animal, but we don't have prooves of an actual use of chariots in
the warfare.
        Nothing else. Regards,
Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France