Tobacco

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Sep 13 11:15:57 UTC 1997

        There is another verse in Sanskrit relating to TAMAAKHU:

tam aakhupatram (one who has a mouse as his vehicle) raajendra
        bhaja maa+jnaana+daayakam |
tamaakhu+patram raajendra bhaja maa ajnaana+daayakam ||

        This was given to us by our teacher in our highschool.  The first
line advises a king to devote himself to Ganesha (aakhu-patra) who bestows
wealth (maa=lakshmii) and knowledge.  The second line advises him not to
take (maa bhaja) up Tamaakhu (tobacco) since it bestows ignorance.

        All the best,
                                Madhav Deshpande