mathematics , mysticism......

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Tue May 20 03:09:10 UTC 1997

	Krishna wrote:

	I don't think that there is any negative aspect attached to
	this number, excepting in Andhra Pradesh where the number 7
	(pronounced as "Edu") sounds pretty much like the verb Edu
	(to weep). I was told that this is a reason for some people
	going out of their way to avoid using the word "seven" during
	a Subhakaaryam (i.e. auspicious occasion).

Tyagaraja does this in his kriti in Arabhi "nAda sudhA rasambilanu"...
he says "svaramulu yARoka ghaNTalu"... i.e. the 6+1 svaras are bells
(tied on the kodaNDa - Rama's bow - which is the glorious rAga).

-Srini.