Color of Skin

Paliath Narendran dran at cs.albany.edu
Thu May 15 16:45:55 UTC 1997

D.H. Killingley wrote:

> There is a text which _denies_ the correlation between varna and skin
> colour: the _VajrasUcI Upanishad_. This text has been printed many times;
> the most accessible is in Radhakrishnan's _Principal Upanishads_. There
> is a substantially different recension published by A. Weber in
> Abhandlungen der Ko"niglichen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin
> (1859), pp. 205-6. Rammohun Roy published a version which shows some
> similarities to Weber's as against the usual recension (reprinted
> in _rAmamohana granthAbalI, part 4, pp. 45-8).

Isn't there a work _vajrasuucii_ attributed to the poet
aSvaghosha?  I recall reading a Malayalam translation of it, by
Prof. E.R.  Sreekrishna Sharma, long ago. If I remember right, it
is also an attack on the `var.na by birth' approach.

Any relation between this and the upanishad? Is aSvaghosha's work a
commentary on the upanishad?

Another question on colours in the Mahabharata: wasn't Draupadi
dark (krshNaa)?

Narendran

Paliath Narendran
Associate Professor                    URL: http://www.cs.albany.edu/~dran/
Department of Computer Science         phone: (518)442-3387
University at Albany --- SUNY          fax:   (518)442-5638
Albany, NY 12222