churki

Chandan Raghava Narayan cnarayan at uclink2.berkeley.edu
Sat Mar 29 05:18:33 UTC 1997

It's funny that the word kuDumi is used in tamil...an anecdote connected
with this word is here described:

In my first attempts at understanding the nuances of high school
calculus, my father would observe me in this seemingly never-ending
struggle and exclaim..."kuDami mAdri vASkI" (in Hebbar tamil translates
into "read like a bookworm!")

In KannaDa, kuDami is most often associated with intense studying, in a
greater context of ridicule. I guess this has to do with brahma.na-s and
their association with studying/reading.

...comments?

warmly,
Chandan Narayan, obviously spending too much time adding his two-cents.