question

Srinivasan Pichumani srini at engin.umich.edu
Fri Mar 14 03:25:53 UTC 1997

	Naaraaya.nabha.t.ta uses the expression kalaayaavalii several
	times in his famous poem Naaraayaa.niiya.  As far as I can tell,
	it must be kalaaya + aavalii, a row/line of kalaaya.  The dictionary
	meaning of kalaaya (Apte) is "green peas", (vaa.taa.naa in Marathi).
	I wonder if anyone knows the significance of this expression in the
	context of describing the Krishna image in the temple at Guruvaayur?
		Thanks.
				Madhav Deshpande

S.N.Sastri, in his book S'rimannaaraaya.niiyam, translates kalaaya as
blue lily.

-Srini.