Redfaced correction concerning Hindu

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Sun Jun 15 11:02:26 UTC 1997

I refer to my previous message, where I claimed that the words indos /
indikos would have entered Greek and Latin in the hellenistic period. In
fact, it must have happened earlier. The first Greek-speaking person to go
to India that we know is Scylax, who went to India with Darius in the 6th
century. The loss of the h is due to Ionian Greek, which looses its h's
earlier than Attic. This I should have remembered (if I had been up early, I
could have blamed it on an early morning, but I have no excuse).

Anyway, those of you who would like to get some more information on the
Greeks, Persians and the Hindus, please consult the informative book by
Klaus Karttunen, India in Early Greek Literature. Helsinki 1989.

Best redfaced regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,