20th Century Indian Poets

Andy McCord amccord at ibm.net
Thu Jul 31 16:28:43 UTC 1997

For South Asian entries in a Routledge biographical dictionary of 20th
Centry poetry I am seeking advice for literatures I'm not familiar with.
The entries are to be very short, giving dates and major works and life
events.  I expect they will not be able to include more than 15-20 poets
from the Indian subcontinent.  My list, from which some may have to be
winnowed, so far includes Muhammad Iqbal & Faiz Ahmed Faiz (Urdu), Mahadevi
Verma and Nirala (Hindi), Rabindranath Tagore (Bengali), Arun Mhatre
(Marathi), and A.K. Ramanujan and Nissim Ezekiel (English).  Any advice on
who I have overlooked in these languages and who to look into for Tamil,
Telegu, Kannada, Malyalam, Gujarati, Punjabi, etc., would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,
Andy McCord
amccord at ibm.net