Spamming

Lars Martin Fosse l.m.fosse at internet.no
Mon Jul 14 09:08:46 UTC 1997

Our list has not been bothered with spamming for some time (as far as I can
see), but if this spectre should once again lift its ugly head, here is a
counter-strategy that might inspire us all. It is from the corpora list:

                                ********
Dear Eugene, [who suggested moderation as a way to counter spamming]

Perhaps moderation is one way to go. I have no firm opinion on this. What
I do is to thank them for their interest in the corpora list by donating
a 4 million word corpus (encrypted of course) included in my reply to
them. Usually they use a fake return address so I just keep the domain
part and replace the receiver part with "postmaster". I include the
original junk so that the postmaster can figure out what inspired my
response.

Probably not a real good idea, but since I'm on vacation I haven't had
the energy to figure out anything more constructive.

Daniel Ridings
Gothenburg, Sweden

Dr.art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,