Manimekalai

Peter.Schalk at relhist.uu.se Peter.Schalk at relhist.uu.se
Thu Jan 16 10:46:10 UTC 1997

>N. Ganesan referred to a conference at Uppsala in Sweden on the Manimekalai..
>Does anyone have more information about this conference?  I am a graduate
>student considering doing work on the Manimekalai as part of my dissertation,
>and would be interested in hearing from others who have studied or are
>studying the epic. Thanks in advance, Katherine Ulrich
>(keulrich at midway.uchicago.edu).

Answer:

The workshop was led by professor Alvappillai Veluppillai and by me and has
resulted in a publication called:

A Buddhist Woman's Path to Enlightenment. Proceedings of a Workshop on the
Tamil Narrative Manimekalai, Uppsala University, May 25-29, 1995

ACTA UNIVERSITATIS UPSALIENSIS, HISTORIA RELIGIONUM 13. SERIES INAUGURATA A
CARL-MARTIN EDSMAN ET GEO WIDENGREN, CONTINUATA A JAN BERGMAN, ANDERS
HULTGÅRD ET PETER SCHALK

Editores: Jan Bergman,  Anders Hultgård, Peter Schalk

Peter Schalk, Editor-in-Chief

There are ten contributors. Americans are Paula Richman, Anne Monius and
Dennis D Hudson. An Israeli is David Shulman, Indians are Ira Nakacuvami,
Arankaracan Vijayalatcumi and Pirema Nantakumar. Ilattuttamilar are Ci
Patmanatan and A Veluppillai. Swedish is Peter Schalk.

324 pages.

The book will be published in the end of January or beginning of February
1997 by Almquist and Wiksell International in Stockholm, Sweden, but there
is a problem to reach this publisher quickly. Therefore anybody can put
orders to peter.schalk at relhist.uu.se and I shall convey them to the
publisher. I am sorry to say that I cannot tell you the prize.

Do not hesitate to ask further questions.

With the best wishes

Peter Schalk