cAra

Rolf Heinrich Koch roheko at classic.msn.com
Mon Aug 25 12:02:36 UTC 1997

The term cAra is explained by the various scholars as "spy". The Buddhist
canon has not one example like this. The Jains commentators interpret cAra as
something like "Astrology" or better, I am not sure, as "making a Horoskop
(german)". I suppose the explanation "spy" is not right. Why an ancient king
needs to employ a spy in case his astrologers knew precisely the course of the
enemy? Does anyone knows some more informations? Similar the term praticAra,
often mentioned together with cAra is not clear to me.
Thanks.